Pages

Monday 12 December 2011

Twelve Crafters Crafting (Part 2)

Having fairly quickly knocked off the first part of this month's Get Funky! challenge, set by Jackie of the marvellous Funky Hand design team, I struggled rather to complete the second part. My non-Christmas card was a birthday card for my friend Cilla, which was also my first waterfall card. At the time of making that, I had intended that my Christmas card for the second part of the challenge would be to my 2011 Christmas card design, using the required traditionally coloured papers from Funky Hand's new CD: Twelve Crafters Crafting. Much as I love the gorgeous design papers, I couldn't pick quite the right combination. After a few days, I decided that I'd utilise the same waterfall design but instead of using the "O Christmas Tree" collection, I'd use "Vintage Christmas".

I was able to make a couple of improvements to the construction of my second waterfall card: primarily, attaching the waterfall mechanism to the backing paper and card before fixing the whole thing to the card blank, which meant that the securing brads were more neatly hidden than on the first.  Otherwise, I used "gold" rather than "silver" accessories and made the mechanism slightly larger on the second card to accommodate the size of the star stamp.

I prefer the birthday card to the Christmas card, because the aqua and brown colours of the former are much more "me" than the traditional green and red of the latter. I don't really feel that either card is very much in the style of Funky Hand and I still think that I took the "easy option" with the birthday card by using the star design paper. However, I'm pretty hopeful that the Christmas card will be very much to my mother's taste and I'm glad that I didn't give up on what proved to be a much more challenging challenge than I'd originally anticipated.

Just a few more Christmas cards to finish and then my 2011 year of crafting will be done. It's been a year of great creativity. I've felt that I've developed my own style much more than before and have gained confidence and skill. Here's to more of the same in 2012! And that's about as close to a New Year resolution as I'm ever likely to get.

3 comments:

  1. Well I think both of your cards are fantastic. I have never been abe to master a waterfall card and you have made two! When you say that they are not in the usual 'Funky Hand' style I'd like to say that, whatever you create making Funky Hand papers or other stash is whatever you want it to be. I'm pleased it's not turned out 'Funky Hand' as you think..that's what crafting is all about, for me anyway, take what you have around you on your craft desk and create. Who wants to be told what to make? Thank you for joining in with the Get Funky Challenge Blog this month and sharing your fab cards.
    Anice xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind comments, Anice. You're absolutely right that crafting should feel free: that's when it's most enjoyable. I guess I just felt that I wanted to do something more "funky" but the inspiration didn't take me that way ... Looking forward to more fab funky-ness in 2012. Thanks for all your inspiration. Cat xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are just fabulous! And I 2nd Anice's comments - I love how all of us on the DT and all of those entering the challenges come up with so many different styles of cards or projects very often using the same papers or elements! Crafting to me is all about putting your own 'spin' on things! :) Thanks so much for playing along with us over at Get Funky!

    ReplyDelete