Pages

Monday 18 July 2011

Boys Boys Boys

This month's Get Funky! challenge from Funky Hand is "Boys Boys Boys". Cards for men are almost universally held to be the hardest to make but with two male relatives having birthdays in the next few weeks, this was a timely challenge for me. As usual, the wonderful Anice provided a fabulous freebie paper and, although there is no obligation to use it, the colour and pattern combination made it irresistible.

Learning from my experience with this week's Docrafts Creativity challenge, I decided to go for simplicity in design but also to have another go at using the previous unfamiliar combination of squares and circles. The colours of the freebie paper came from the Jovial Man collection on the Papercraft Factory Colour Me Happy CD and I chose another pattern from that as my second paper. After that, it was simply a matter of cutting out squares and circles, inking their edges (obligatory!) and matting them onto complementary card. Anice had included stars on the freebie sheet and although I didn't use those, I liked the idea (and sentiment) of including a star so punched one out of card, inked it, topped it with a button and stuck it on. I was very glad to find that I had just the right colour of ink and style of stamp for a casual "Happy Birthday" greeting, using another of the collection's papers. The wooden mini-peg was not part of my original design but, having found it in my button box, it seemed to provide a slightly quirky yet appealing embellishment. Albeit one that's not necessarily going to travel well through the mail …

Pleased with how the finished card looked, I made a few more along similar lines using other patterns in the collection. Although blue and green is a combination that's not "supposed to be seen", it's one that I've always really liked, being based, it seems to me, on prolific colours in nature, and certainly works well for men. Thanks to the Get Funky! design team for the inspiration; that's my male card needs sorted for now and a few more to come, which is a great relief. Lots of female birthdays coming up at the end of the summer: any chance that next month's challenge could provide a useful starting point for them?

9 comments:

  1. Hi Cat

    What a brilliant use of Anice's free paper (and your Colour Me Happy Papercraft Factory CD).

    Love what you have done here and so many creations too!!

    Well done on getting ahead with those male cards!!

    Thank you for sharing with Get Funky!

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cat, wow just wow!! you have done a totally awesome job with the freebie paper and i love the others from the same colour scheme on the cd too!! just fab! thank you for getting funky with us this month hugs Lou xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. fab boys card, great selection with the freebie
    Thanks for joining us at Get Funky this month
    AllisonX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks "guys" for all those kind comments. But without your challenge and Anice's gorgeous papers though, I'd have been nowhere.
    LnH Cat xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cat these are just great cards! I may have designed the papers but it's your craft talent that puts them together so wonderfully!
    Thanks for joining in with us on the Get funky Challenge this month.
    Anice xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great use of the FH papers - I like blue and green together

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love the way you've used the papers to make these fab cards Cat!! Brilliant! Thanks for joining in with the Get Funky challenge this month and good luck! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are just awesome! I love the simplicity of them! And I also love how you've embellished! I shall have to search out those mini wooden pegs again! Thanks so much for joining in the get Funky challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wonderful and you made more than one!! Thanks for entering the Get Funky! Challenge – hope you can join us again next time on the Funky Fifteenth! Get Funky!

    ReplyDelete